October 18, 2008

Musing VII: Making a Difference

I know I'm different since I was a child; part of being different is my conscious effort to make a difference, both in what I do and in someone else's life if I could help it that way. As a child in grade school I readily identified with a friend who is crippled with polio and another crippled with burn accident. I had this connection, they being different as I am. I befriended them helped them in my own way, carrying them at my back literally and figuratively in the hope that I made a difference in their lives. I hope I did.

My stint in the seminary as a young lad in search of identity has been one of the most memorable and fulfilling for the sense I felt that I was not so much different at all. The kinship and brotherhood with the rest of the community has given me immense feeling of being one with the others more than the reality of my being different. As part of that community then and now, I know and I would like to believe I have made a difference.

As a young adult with awareness of the political, family and personal issues I have made it a point to act not with impunity but with care to make a difference. In my own way I took part in the change that was EDSA I and II. In my own way I have been a responsive and responsible classmate, leader and friend in and out of school. In my own way I have been a dutiful son, brother and uncle. Have I made a difference in that respect? I know and I believe I did.

One compelling reason why I chose medicine as my vocation was the fact that it provides me the means and responsibility to make a difference. In my practice as a doctor I always strive to bring into focus my end to make a difference more than the material gain that the profession brings. I'm no hypocrite, but the perks of being a doctor can be so tempting and rewarding that at times I lose focus; I just hope I still made a difference in those instances.

I'm already patting my own back too much; I just wish someone would tell me that indeed I made a difference. I am but just human, needing affirmation that indeed I am good and have made a difference.


5 comments:

Jake said...

You have a very noble purpose in life, dude. Men who make a difference are a rare commodity.

Keep the torch blazing!!! :)

[G] said...

i've read your previous posts even before and i know you are a good person and have made a difference :-)

[G] said...

p.s. and i hope ur consultation fee is not too much so indigent patients can afford your good service :-)

hehehe

pj said...

thanks for the affirmation...
and yes gibo, i try to do more than just waive my fee in those instances :)

Thad said...

What an insightful post... I have been perpertually meandering from one industry to another (landscape architecture, customer service, now nursing..), in hopes that one day I get a job that's not only financially rewarding but something that makes an impact on people's lives-- no such luck!

Lately I have been thinking of taking up Medicine after the BSN degree but that is still subject to change. Reading other people's journeys and pursuits of their calling inspires me to keep moving and keep my focus- one day I just might find myself in the right place.

Thanks for sharing = ) I've linked you up.

Thad