August 28, 2006

A night of extreme emotions....

I slept Friday night with a smile as I look forward to Saturday with much anticipation… Northman (my friends call him that) has agreed for us to come together to a friend’s thanksgiving dinner party who was recently hospitalized for a very serious medical problem. As soon as I got his confirmation it suddenly dawned on me that we would be coming in late to the party and we, coming together would be so obvious for everyone to notice. I panicked and call a friend for help, I was worried for him more; his recent ex could possibly be there as well and he being seen with me would certainly make tongue wagging all over.

Friends have graciously provided a smokescreen as we arrived. I can’t forget the look in their faces as they saw us come in together, good thing there were not so many people we know who could have noticed that sudden plastered smile in their faces. Oh well, I was beaming and ‘glowing’ more as they claimed; yup my excitement level was too high that my head was already swimming; I can’t seem to get the drift most of the conversations I had.

As they said, when you’re up, there’s no other way but down. And crashed down I did as I saw our friend confined to bed. I’m a doctor and I have seen far worse cases than him but still I was not prepared seeing him that way. I can’t really bear myself to look him straight in the eye as I was afraid my eyes would betray the strength and encouragement I was trying so hard to give him. I thought that all the years of clinical practice have already steeled me for this kind of situation. I was dead wrong; I felt so helpless for him. I have only known him recently, but he is really something; he is a very admirable man for he exudes sereneness and composure despite all the pain he is suffering.

It’s been a stormy, extreme swing of emotion for me all in one night. I was sure glad to have friends to have hold and hug me during that night. Company of friends really made a difference to ease what I was feeling that night. As I drove him home I was quiet most of the way; I have lost all the things that I have mentally prepared to say; I just hope he did not sense my discomfort as I was disturbed with our friend’s condition. His brief, but to me seemed to be a lingering touch on my arm as he was about to get off the car was so comforting, enough to accompany me on my not so long drive home.
:)

No comments: